Input Data Sources
The SolarPower Live Map application combines different data sources to calculate the PV output generation as described below.
Installed Capacity at Country and Regional Level
The installed capacity at country and regional level is provided by Solar Power Europe. The following datasets are used for the map creation:
- Yearly cumulative installed capacity at country level from 2004 up to 2016
- Installed capacity at regional level from 2011 and 2012 (extrapolated to other years)
- Segmentation data (available from 2012 to 2015 - extrapolated to other years) --> Share between residential (<= 10 kWp), commercial (10 - 250 kWp), Industrial (> 250 kWp), and utility scale ground mounted (> 1000 kWp) systems.
Satellite-Derived Solar Irradiation Dataset
The SolarPower Live Map is powered by 3E's Solar Data Services (click here to receive best-of-class solar data for you PV projects). The application makes use of the most advanced Cloud Physical Properties (CPP) models to calculate the available solar resource for both, the entire historical period (2004 to 2016) and the real-time data at 15 minutes resolution for the last 24 hours which is updated regularly within the day.
Other data needed for the calculations
For the calculation of the PV generation relative to inhabitants and surface, statistics from e.g. Eurostat are used.
PV Output Generation Calculation
The assumptions made to calculate the aggregated PV output generation based on installed capacity and available solar resource are described below. Among the most important assumptions are the PR and the configuration of the PV systems.
- Performance Ratio (PR)
- Statistics from Solar Bankability and PVPS Task 13
- Different weather conditions according to Koppen Geiger climate classification
- Market segment differentiation (i.e. residential (<= 10 kWp), commercial (10 - 250 kWp), Industrial (> 250 kWp), and utility scale ground mounted (> 1000 kWp) systems).
- Differentiation between newer and older systems
- PV system configuration (mainly inclination angle and orientation of the PV modules):
- Differentiation according to market segmentation considering typical inclination angles and orientations
- Systems with trackers are currently not accounted for in the calculations